I went to a ward pot luck on Saturday- it was lots of fun and got to talking to other moms about Leila's lice. Marci (who is from Venezuela) commented that her mom told her to do a couple things to rid of the head lice .. .and I did them and BAM! it worked. Let me take you to where it began again.
Sunday I combed through Leila's hair (my every morning ritual) and I didn't see any bugs and since you can't pass on Lice with only nits- I thought we were safe. We get to church, I get that calm relaxing feeling of 'we did it, we made it in time, brought everything we needed for lessons and the bread for sacrament' and then I glance down at Leila's head and there was a lice bug! I leaned over and told Brey- and he handed me the keys and I left with Leila.
In the parking lot I bumped into Marci and I asked if I could borrow the comb that worked so well on her daughter. So that afternoon I went and borrowed the metal comb. Marci also told me about the home remedies that worked. My own mom had told me about mayo on the hair- but I honestly gaged at the thought (I hate the smell and texture of mayo). But Marci said the vinegar gets the nits off the hair! She also handed me a small bottle of 'tea tree oil' (the lice supposedly hate the smell) and said to mix it with Leila's shampoo, rinse then comb it.
So our adventure started after dinner. We put Leila on a stool and in front of Harry Potter: Chamber of Secrets. She really likes Dobbey the house elf. We left the mayo and vinegar mix on her head for one hour. Yes, all 60 minutes. Then used the mixture and combed through her head with the metal comb. This comb was so good, when you hold it up to the light, you can't see through it- its that tight of a comb. .perfect for getting the nits!
I'm a little embarrassed that the comb got out as much as it did. I had been so vigilant all week about combing her hair with what came with the treatments. We treated it twice with Rid. I've washed her bedding each time she has gotten out of it. I couldn't believe the size of the bugs also- they were so tiny! I could only really see them when they were clumped all at the bottom of the comb. There were so many nits also. Ugh. I just couldn't believe that after my meticulous week there was THAT much in her head.
This morning we washed her hair again (it was too oily for me not to worry about it getting on furniture). I then combed it and got out a few more nits- but no bugs! Not even the little ones! I'm so excited!!!!
1 comment:
Nice I'm glad u got Venezuelan friends full of ideas ;) I will tell my mom about your post that is too cool...I'm glad it worked and Leila is bug free :) yayyyyyyy!
Post a Comment