So I've had a small annoyance with a friend-of-a-friend. So I just thought I'd take a moment to clarify my basic beliefs and explain (skim the top) of what I do as a Mormon (I prefer to be called a Latter Day Saint but I'll answer to both of them ;0).
My Beliefs
I do believe in a Heavenly Father ( a more reverent way to address than saying God) and that his son, Jesus Christ came to earth to minister and teach and to love all his children.
I know that my Father in Heaven loves me and loves all of his children- everyone!
I know we are here on Earth to make choices to be able to return to be with him and our families when we die. I think our choices- every day- to do what is right and learn to the be great in his eyes is why we are here. I know we are here to make families- to have eternal families and grow to love. I know the Bible is true and I know the Book of Mormon is true- they are records of people who were taught and were given prophecies that we can learn from. I believe everyone has the right to worship as they wish- I encourage everyone to go to their church or temple because I know that religion is very personal and purposeful in everyday life.
A few myths to eliminate or clarify misconceptions
Mormons don't practice polygamy. Honest! Why would I lie?
We are Christian.
I don't wear crosses around my neck because it was the manner in which Jesus Christ died (if he died today by gun- i wouldn't wear a charmed size gun) and I know that Jesus Christ did more than just died- he was resurrected and leads and guides His church.
I do believe I belong to his church- because his name is in the title and his priesthood resides here with members of the priesthood which he restored. I have been baptized and confirmed with that priesthood with the Holy Ghost- the comforter. Me personally after carefully considering the decision decided to join in my adult years- when it wasn't such an easy decision it was the right decision for me.
We get married in a Holy Temple because there it is a sacred place where the union is so perfectly matched- where all the cares and worries in the world are gone! We are 'sealed' to be husband and wife forever- that family bond is there and made with your partner with the commitment to be faithful always. Once sealed for eternity- death can not seperate us forever- we will always be together in the eternities.
What you maynot know about Mormons/Latter Day Saints
Its more than a Sunday assignment. Yes, I am a teacher in Sunday school- but I also have a stewardship over other women in the ward to check in with them each month to make sure that they have their needs met. We also meet and do a spiritual thought with them. Brey has a similar assignment to meet with families and see that their needs are met and to share a message with the family.
Semi Annual Conference is the first weekend in April and October- and we don't go to church! Actually is church via TV from 10-noon and 1-3pm both Saturday and Sunday. We listen to leaders- from the Prophet to Primary Leaders.
A typical Sunday is 3 hours with a full congregation meeting (Sacrament meeting) and then a Sunday school class and then a meeting that is just the men (Priesthood) and the women (Relief Society). Our class schedule is ours since we are older than 18.
Leila is currently in the Nursery from 18 months- 3 years old
When she turns 3 she will join the other nursery kids and have a big lesson with everyone ages 18 months-11 and then break into smaller classes with just her age group.
When he is 12-18 she will meet with just the girls for the Young Women's meeting and then within her age group for the 3rd hour.
We are told to pray and study each day (which honestly I don't get to studying everyday but I've been trying to improve on that). We are encouraged to have a family night- once a week. And we are also encouraged to go to the Temple to listen to instructions and do service for others.
Sunday services are the EXACT same everywhere- except for the people! Every ward building as boundary and online you find out where you worship by where you live. Its not by status or how long you've been a member or on your personal preference.
Going to the Temple
Being in the temple is a beautiful thing. There are no distractions and I am in constant thought of what eternity could be like.We pray and learn while there. We are also there to offer the deceased an opportunity to accept ordinances done in their behalf. These deceased people are names that their family members have asked for help to get the ordinance done- they are the same ordinances - baptism and confirmation of the Holy Ghost and marriages and instructions- only because they didn't have the ordinances done while they were on the Earth- I and other Mormons or Latter Day Saints- do it for them in the temple.
I hope that this blog doesn't offend- it was to hopefully help me feel better after some misconceptions on the topic of living in Utah and being a mormon. Please- Please ask me any question and I will find out an answer for it. Ask the website http://www.mormon.org/ or if you run into a missionary you can ask the missionaries all the questions you have- or go to church at an LDS ward. Please feel free to copy & paste this blog- don't forward my blog address to people I don't know because I like not having you log into my blog to read. thanks!! Love you! Hillary
1 comment:
Hillary, beautiful post! You are such a great writer and do so well at putting your thoughts down. What an incredible explanation!!! I loved reading your testimony. You are such a great example to me!
Post a Comment