Sunday, March 30, 2008

Leila's Birth Story


We arrived at the hospital at 9pm as instructed. After we got signed in a slew of new mothers came in so I didn't receive my first dose of Cytotec until 10:15pm. I had contractions even before the pill was dissolved in my mouth. Nothing too severe, but they were there about 5-7 minutes apart. I was starting to get uncomfortable and then I got the 2nd dose that was larger than the first at 1:17am. I really started getting contractions almost immediately that were jumping at the beginning rather than slowly increasing with time. I was in tears by 1:45am and requested the epidural.

Thank goodness he arrived soon. We signed the papers and started the process of getting the epidural. I did really well. I did jump a little but it was just a sharp pain went down my leg that I wasn't expecting that I jumped. I felt bad because I knew I wasn't supposed to move and emotions were strong all night. The Anesthesiologist then went through a list of symptoms that I should mention something if I had it. As soon as he mentioned ears ringing-whoa! they were ringing. It wasn't like a high pitched ring like someone is talking about you- more like a synthesizer is playing every word- my mental state was really off- it really freaked me out that my ears were affected by this epidural- I finally started just controlling what I could- my breathing and calmed myself down- but I was really scared. He said that he epidural was in a blood membrane (i think) and that he would try to pull it out a little and see if he could redirect it or if he needed to start all over again. After a silent prayer that this would work it totally did and I could finally relax.

-Education portion- to be ready to deliver one should be 10 cm, 100% effaced and at a +4 station

Oh did I relax. I got to sleep and everything! i got checked at 3:30 and I was a 2cm, 90% effaced and -1 station. At 6am I was 4+cm (almost 5), 100% effaced and -1 station. The nurse was so surprised! I guess the expectation on cytotec is to take the 3rd dose in the morning because people are usually only at a 2cm! I was passed that so I didn't have to take the 3rd dose! At 6:30 (while I was sleeping) my water broke spontaneously.

At 6:45am I was a 5+, 100%, -1 Station.

At 8:00am I was a 5+, 100%,-1 Station

At 8:50am I was a 5+, 100%, -1 Station

(received @ 9am pitocin to hopefully cause some change)

At 11:23am i was 9cm, 100%, +1 Station

At 11:59am, I was 10cm, 100% and +2 Station

The nurse came in to tell us another hour and we'll push. But she came to check in on me and was surprised to see me asleep (I should be uncomfortable and ready to push in an ideal world). She asked if I was still numb- I definitely was so she turned off my epidural! I was thinking the worse- like this would take immediate action- but I slept some more- even until 2:15pm-

The doctor came in and wasn't happy with how her heart rate was reacting to contractions- so it was time to push with getting assistance. I don't know what was going on- but there were thoughts of her being posterior (facing down and not up) but before I knew it she was out after about an hour of pushing.

Leila's head came out with hand and her umbilical cord. She wasn't an immediate screamer but after some rubs on the back she came around. The nurses then weighed her, measured her and still during all this the doctor was finishing me up. It took probably 45 minutes of getting placenta and stitches and that lead to another hour of close observation. Before we left I had the nurse tell me my chart (that is how I got all the times and progress). Finally Brey, me and the baby were on our way to our new room with our newly formed family. It was an awesome experience to hold her as we went down the hallway when they played the lullaby to let everyone know we were a new family.

4 comments:

Natalie Sue said...

Oh... I loved reading the whole story and about the "charting!" What a good idea. And as I have said, Leila is absolutely gorgeous!! I hope you are enjoying your first week of getting to know each other. It's such a neat experience!
BTW, Tanelle and I are bringing you dinner on Tues, and your VT are bringing it on Wed. :)

EJNielsen said...

Wow what a ride! You all did so well! Congrats to all of you!

Elora said...

You got a beautiful baby girl out of it.. so exciting!

Angela said...

Cute Baby guys. You did good. Sorry we haven't been to see her. This is Brad and Ange in case you are wondering.