I got evaluated again, and was still 3 cm. We went walking again. Same route. Before my assigned 2 hours were up, we were back in triage and I was trying to breathe through the contractions. I now know that the nurse was reporting back to my cnm that I wasn't 'that' uncomfortable--I wish she would have asked me my comfort level than assume that me laying with eyes closed and doing rthmc breathing was me coping and not me napping!
Becky and Cassandra (my CNMs) came back at 8:30 and said that I was 5cm. Every new position and movement was initially uncomfortable, so I dreaded the walk to the birthing room. This was also the time I was informed that no birthing tub rooms were available- total let down, especially because these contractions were very low and felt like menstral cramps- and everyone knows that a warm bath helps those- what a perfect time to use the birthing tub! Oh well.
I got my IV and first dose of antibiotic for my Group B Strep that I tested positive for at an appointment in the office. I get into the shower and Brey was a great help. I then went about 2 steps out of the bathroom and 'POOF' my water broke spontaneously. I couldn't believe that I was just in the shower- a great place to have my water break. .and it happened when i got out! :o)
I labored again on the ball and then on hands/knees. I was about 7cm and felt alot of pressure and got the ok to push the cervix out of the way. It was good to be able to push against them. I then got on my back and had lots of coaching on breathing-who would have thought that forgetting to breathe would be easy to do?!? Everyone was reassuring that the baby's heart rate was doing ok.
Finally everyone said baby was almost here- and I honestly didn't really believe them. I had heard how people feel like labor is like a time warp, but I didn't think that baby could truly almost be in my arms. I won't pretend like I wasn't in pain, I was even more vocal about the pain than I ever thought I would- I asked if there was pain medication- it was clear I didn't want epidural- but it was too late unless I wanted a drowsy baby, and I wanted to nurse ASAP.
Then comments started about the baby's hair and then some more pushing and baby was on my tummy! still lots of commotion over fast delivery- but no one announced boy or girl. I opened my eyes and took a peek and IT'S A GIRL!

3 comments:
I've been checking your blog to see if there was a picture of her, and I got the BIRTH STORY! Hooray! You are amazing!! I'm so happy for you! She is adorable. Wowee-look at the chubs. SO cute! You did it!!!!!!!! You're my inspiration!!
osThat is SO great! How fun to have two little girls. I am so glad everything went well for you guys and that she is healthy and well.
She's so cute! And I love her name. Way to go Hillary! :)
Post a Comment