Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Our Story

I love this time of year because it reminds me of when Brey and I first met. I wonder if you know the story- since I'm using my blog to be our history- i think i should tell this story.

It was May of 2003- and I decided among other things, to move to Utah and transfer to the University of Utah. I moved in with my Great Step Uncle (yep, my step grandmothers deceased sister's husband) in Bountiful, until I got my groundings in SLC. I went to the singles ward (adults ages 18-30) and made a couple good friends. I also gave a talk during sacrament meeting (church services) before moving a couple blocks west of the U. (Brey actually attended this meeting and remembered this talk)
One friend called me and said there was a temple trip that my old ward was taking- and that she'd like me to tag since it was quite the trip by 'le bus'. While there a girl came up to me and said 'You're Neil Voss' girlfriend from Ohio'. I was surprised to say the least- but she had remembered me from the previous summer when she drove through Grove City on her way to SLC and stayed over at Neil's house and we had hung out. So we exchanged numbers to hang out later.
Shea called later on in the week saying she was going to BYU to visit friends and to celebrate a birthday of the other girl I had met at Neil's house and I could go with her. She came by to pick me up and Brey was with her. (they had just argued when she pulled up so it was kinda thick air the whole way down to BYU) Once at Mariah's apt everyone knew everyone else except for me and Brey- the two of us hung out all night- and he later asked for my number--i think just to irritate Shae though.
A little bit later my roommate left a note saying that he had called. with NO NUMBER left behind. So when she later handed me the phone- i assumed it was Brey and we made plans to go meet up at the Preview Parade Show at the Salt Palace- i think-. While playing a literal phone tag to find each other while there- this SHORT, pale, dark hair/eyes- guy started waving his hand to say hi. I kinda freaked- WHO IS THIS GUY!?!!?!? I hung out and walked the preview with him- declining a 2nd round trip- I tried to figure out who he was and his name was 'bryce' and he later offered to take me home- NO THANKS, I'll take public transportation WEIRDO!!!! So after I got home I found out that he had called to take another roommate out and I had got the wrong impression. So I thought it was pretty funny, and I called Shae to ask for Brey's number. It was his birthday and he would call me after the weekend since he was out with his friends.
Actually we have Brey recording himself on camera talking with Dave about his future date with me. :o) We still do that.
Brey found the humor in me agreeing to go on a date with him, but not having 'him' on the date. So it was safe for him to ask me out .
We spent our first date in the city- we missed the 3d show at clarks planetarium twice- so we BEGGED to let us in the back so we could see it. After the movie we went to a comedy club. . .we just wanted to hang out all night! So we made plans for the next day to kinda 'rough it' and we went to hobbs pond in Fruit Heights and did a rope swing into the pond. I actually lost my grib on the rope and ended up with a bad burn on my hands and thigh- only to face plant into the water- SO EMBARRASSING! I think that night we went to the drive in too!
Then a couple weekends later- Hope was visiting Las Vegas and a roommate backed out of a previous agreement to take me down there since she was going home to Boulder City. Brey happened to call me and I told him the story and he offered to take me. I commended him for the offer- but I already made the mistake on relying on someone else. .but I would get there by my own means. He was relentless and said we would leave after classes the next day.
Just like that we packed up the Jeep and headed to Vegas. We drove for 8 hours. Arrived around 10pm, and stayed until mid afternoon the next day. All together we drove for 16 hrs and only were in Vegas for 14! His BEST friend had just got back from his mission- so we wanted to be back before 9 am church. We stopped just before the city lights and watched the stars for like an hour. We got back I think around 3 am. And we hung out the next day all day too.

The following weekend Brey got the keys and left a kidney behind- and we went to Bear Lake to stay at his grandparents cabin. We spent 2 days up there and that is where Brey told me he loved me. I knew I really REALLY loved hanging out with Brey, but I had a nice predictable plan of dating Neil in 8 more months- and predictable future - and well- everyday was AMAZING with Brey. I had a lot to figure out. We spent another amazing day the next day and I knew I was falling HARD for him.

The end of September Brey and I hit a crossroads- and we decided we had to decide what we wanted out of the relationship. And I found him uptop a mountain in bountiful- where he went to think- and he asked me if I could 'see yourself marrying me'. I knew then that Brey was serious about this. I told him that I could see that if I knew him TONS better. I later invited him to come to Ohio the day after Christmas and we decided to ride Amtrack back to SLC.

Memorable Dates: he took me to the alpine slide, he told me to a fancy restaurant in Park City for my birthday- we hung out watching movies - etc

We had a blast in Ohio- even spending an extra day with Casey and Christina than planned- I knew the dates and not the day of the week- at least we didn't drive all the way to Cleveland before I figured it out! But we got delayed and delayed into and out of Chicago- so we ended up making a 32 hr trip into a 40 hr train trip! We arrived in SLC and even though we had not showered or slept in a bed for nearly 2 days and had a little more than 3 inches separating us for that amount of time- we STILL wanted to be together some more.

After Christmas we went to Ohio again in March- to tell my parents that we were planning on getting married- in 3 months! When we got back to SLC I thought we still had to iron out some details on the ring and date- but the next day Brey got down on one knee and asked me to marry him!

1 comment:

EJNielsen said...

Such a good story! You guys are great together! Miss ya both!