Sunday, January 11, 2009

Leila's Eyes

So, I have felt for a long time that Leila's eyes don't exactly both point straight. My friends had a great optometrist for their little one, so I made an appointment in I believe end of October for the Dr.D's first available January 8Th! So FINALLY that day arrives and I feel like her eye sight has improved since then, but why cancel and appointment if I have to wait 3+ months if I later change my mind?!
After we initially meet with the doctor, he dilated Leila's eyes and we had to wait a half hour in the waiting room. In the waiting room there were lots of little ones. There are lots of toys and even a movie playing so Leila was entertained to say the least, I even jokingly offered to pay a child for keeping her attention so long (he was running back and forth). During this half hour the moms talk, and it was not the usual bragging it was a tale of all the aliments their child(ren) had- and I almost cried for these children right then and there. I'm sure it was comforting for each mom to share their experiences like a group therapy session, but I just can't believe all they go through and the lives their children have with vision trouble. Surgeries. .glasses. . the threat of loosing the good eye . . .cataracts at age 6. .blindness and coloration. . . and then one mom says to me, 'how about your little girl?' and I wanted to be invisible! "I think that she might have a crossed eye."
Anyways, the moms said were glad that I was there to check it out. I'm glad they didn't broadcast as I left her appointment that everything is a-o-k. But it is and I'm still glad I had it checked out.

1 comment:

Tavia said...

Great news! Hooray! Sometimes it's hearing the trials of others that makes us SOOOO much more grateful.