Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My adventure at the ATL

Leila and I had a layover in Atlanta for our trip out to see Grammy and Brey's family. Columbus flight went good and it was only an hour and 1/2 to Atlanta- Leila did good and just played with minnie & mickey mouse along with kitty and a few other toys- she ate a little bit too.
When we arrived at Atlanta, I thought we had enough time to get some food at Burger King and since it was across the hall from our gate- I felt safe. Unfortunately they said 'pre-boarding last call' so that meant that most people with wheel chairs and kids already had their first boarding call- so I left my food behind and got on the plane- no food.
After the other 200 people got on the plane the plane started not being able to hold power- first every 10 minutes and then every 5, and eventually it wouldn't turn on again- so then they called maintenance and then it was determined that we couldn't use the plane we were on. So at this point we had been on the plane for an hour and half. Leila was done. She was tired- and thankfully I had last minute prepared a couple pb & j's for us in case such a situation happened. She also ate some banana and other snacks. But since the PA system didn't work, they had to walk the announcement down the aisle- and my dear child was crying- i mean go figure- 250 people and no fans we were all hot and uncomfortable- so... that is why she was wearing her PJ's that were shorts- oh well- parenting of the year goes to me with my child in shorts in 15* weather in Atlanta. Another family gave me a coloring book that had some stickers but Leila was just tired.
So we got off the plane and were told a new gate- So we had an hour to waste and I figured getting Leila to sit wasn't a possibility- so we did races, jumping competitions and general roughing around- I didn't care about the silly laughs I got and even a request to o an aerobics class instruction from another- the goal was to keep Leila busy and tire her out! I passed the burger king and explained i had to leave my food earlier, but would like some fries- her 'with all her customer service skills' replied 'that is $2.44.' Nice. So I paid 7 bucks for fries total for the day.
FINALLY we got boarded the new flight- Leila ate the fries and I gave her some milk (that I bought in Columbus) and she was OUT. Unfortunately 'catering' had not delivered the goods- so we waited for 45 minutes for just catering to come. Finally we got into the air and they started the in flight movie- Eat Pray Love, I was happy. I figured a sleeping kid- finally some 'ME' time. Not the case, the preview woke her up- so I got out the DVD player and she watched movies- and played games and with her toys- we finally landed in SLC and I couldn't have been happier! yea! I made it! 3 1/2 hours late. But I made it and so did my luggage and stroller!

2 comments:

Christina said...

Oh my gosh. That is like every mother's nightmare! Seriously! I'm glad you made it though. Go you on being so prepared, too! We only live 2 hours from Atlanta. You were so close! Have fun on your vacation!

Susi said...

Oh my!!! that's crazy stuff!!! I'm glad you're there now....Hope to see ya soon :)