Saturday, August 21, 2010

Your head WILL itch too.

Leila has head lice! UGH!! this is so nasty! I've learned a lot in the last week but my battle has just begun.


It all started Saturday. We were getting ready and Leila wouldn't let me brush her hair- she was too busy itching it. Then I found them. Trying to be a 'mom' I tried not to be completely grossed out! I totally was though. Brey went to the store (I cancelled our play date plans) with a list of supplies needed. Brey (thankfully) also bought a video when he went to the store this morning for Nix. That kept Leila occupied. As for us, we spent literally all day from 1030 am until 720 cleaning Leila's hair or cleaning the house. I wish I could tell you an exact number of bugs or eggs that I pulled out of her hair- but think of any number and then DOUBLE it. It was so tedious. I still comb through her hair daily and I'm trying to keep her hair dirty (the dirtier the hair the less likely they are to attach.)

Where did she get this? I have not a single clue. Since the eggs take 6-10 days to hatch that puts Leila at 3 play dates, my sister's house, Kings Island and nursery at church. Everyplace has no one else that has them (I don't know about Kings Island). Brey and I treated our hair and my parents haven't had any in their heads either.

This has been such a long week! Leila's toys (all 10 bags) are all in the basement and I am bringing them out in 2 weeks. Until then she is playing with toys that have been sanitized.

Please leave any comments or suggestions if you've dealt with these parasites. Thank you!

3 comments:

Kara said...

As a lice survivor, I would like to remove the stigma of having lice. Being around other people means at some point your kid is going to get lice. I had it several times during elementary school.
It sounds like it was a huge pain to deal with. When I was a "school nurse" in nursing school, teachers obsessed about lice and were constantly asking us to check kids.
I hope they're gone. (But she'll get them again later, and it will be OK.)

And of all the diseases we've erradicated, why not headlice?

Smittys said...

My head itches reading this.

Christina said...

Oh no girlfriend!!! My siblings and I all had lice at one time when I was 5, and then I got them again when I was in high school. Embarrasing!! I hope that they go away fast for you! Leila has such beautiful hair..no wonder they wanted to live in it.