Monday, March 8, 2010

Exploring Potty Training

Leila's new potty!
Hanging out on the Potty!
Our adventures in potty training have begun. Leila tried on 'pretty panties' yesterday and loved wearing them. Her dad rather disliked how old she seemed while wearing them :o) . Today we went and bought her a training toilet. We went with the Safety 1st comfy cushy potty. So far so good. My plan so far is to have her 'relax' when she wants to sit on the potty and she gets a sticker when she is finished with clapping (she has always loved clapping and words of praise). We read a book today and then she signed 'finish' and she got up and checked what was in the potty (nothing) and then we put a diaper on. If she does leave something behind then we will put her in her pretty panties. I'm hoping to just get her to poop in the potty and then have her pee in it later- i've read up on PODS (peeing on discrete strips) that are supposed to get cold when wet to alert the child. So maybe i'll try those? The company's slogan is one box is all you need- because children usually train in the 30 strips. Anyways, I'm only concerned with steps backwards- i've read up that one hard bowl movement can set you back weeks! I don't want that. Feel free to leave any advice that you may have for me. Thanks!!!

2 comments:

Smittys said...

I tried it that way and it did not work. Every kid is different though for sure. Addy is very set on doing things her way and by herself. I used the book Toilet training in less than a day and that did the trick, it teaches them to be independent on the potty. Addy just goes and does not need my help. Addy really was potty trained in a day! I still however leave her in a diaper for naps and night time. I think she is too little to get up in the night by herself.
Good Luck.

Christina said...

Good luck! Sounds like you have a good plan going. I'm sure I'll be getting your advice in a year or so!